- SmartTasks can be created quickly and easily from anywhere in the platform by clicking the button located at the bottom of the screen. Once clicked, a SmartTask detail screen appears.
- In the Name field, enter a brief title.
- Click the Milestone diamond to indicate if the SmartTask is a Milestone, or a significant deliverable in the overall project. Note: A milestone indicates a specific point on the timeline, and does not have a work window or work estimate associated.
- Click to toggle the Priority. Options include 1: Critical Priority, 2: High Priority, 3: Normal Priority, and 4: Low Priority.
- In the Description field, enter details about what the SmartTask entails.
- Assign the SmartTask. By default, the SmartTask is “personal” and assigned to the person who created it. To assign it to a team member:
a. Click the listed Owner. The Owner dropdown opens with team members organized into teams. b. Type into the Search box to narrow the listings displayed. c. Select a team section and then choose an individual by clicking their photo.
- Add the SmartTask to a Project and Phase.
a. Click the Project field. A listing of projects appears. Choose a project. Note that if the SmartTask is still set to be a personal task it will not be possible to add it to a project. b. To leave the SmartTask at the root phase of the project do not add a phase, but to put it into a specific location, click the Phase field. A listing of phases associated with this project appears. Choose a phase.
- Set a duration. This is the number of working days allotted to complete the SmartTask. This window accounts for weekends, holidays, and leave.
a. Click into the Duration field. b. Enter the amount of time allotted to complete the SmartTask. By default the number entered here will be displayed in days. For example, entering 3 into the duration field will display a three day work window. Shortform may be used to enter other units of measurement.
4d This is shortform for 4 days. 4w This is shortform for 4 weeks. 4m This is shortform for 4 months. 4y This is shortform for 4 years. d. Click OK or use the Enter key.
Note: If the start and due Dates have already been entered the duration will automatically populate. If the work window is overwritten via this form, Moovila will maintain the SmartTask’s start date and shift out the due date.
- Set the SmartTask Due Date only, or Start and Due Dates.
a. To set a Due Date:
i. Click the calendar icon in the Due Date field. A calendar appears. (You may also click directly into the field to type a date.) ii. Select the date on which the SmartTask should be completed. The Due Date is populated below. iii. If a work window has been entered, Moovila will automatically calculate a start date that will allow the work to be completed by the due date. For example, if the work window is two days, setting the due date will prompt Moovila to set a start date that is two days before that due date.
b. Enter a Start AND Due date.
i. Once the SmartTask’s due date has been entered using the first two steps above, click the calendar icon in the Start Date field. (You may also type directly into this field.) ii. Click on the date that work should begin for this SmartTask. The time between start and end are highlighted. c. To set a time for either the start or end, click the time in the blue circle. A clock appears for time selection. f. When finished, click the Apply button.
This means that dates will remain fixed and will not be updated by the Critical Path Engine.
- Estimate the time required to complete the SmartTask.
a. Click the Work Estimate field. You may enter an estimated amount of time to complete this SmartTask directly into the field. b. By default a number entered will display as hours. So if typing in "3" it will default to a 3 hour estimate. If you need other units of measurement they can be entered in shortform:
4d This is shortform for 4 days. 4w This is shortform for 4 weeks. 4m This is shortform for 4 months. 4y This is shortform for 4 years. c. Note: The work estimate will impact the duration of the SmartTask that is established as well as the start / end dates if the estimate exceeds the allotted time. For example, if a SmartTask’s duration is 3 days long and the work estimate for the SmartTask is 12 days, Moovila will automatically increase the duration to accommodate the SmartTask and shift out the due date.
- Add Items to the SmartTask. Items captures materials, labor or equipment needed to complete the SmartTask and their associated costs. This is most commonly used in the construction industry.
a. Click into the Items field. The Items screen opens. Click the "+" button to add a new item. b. Enter the item's type, name, description, quantity, unit, and unit cost. The total cost will be calculated. Use the return key to add more items. c. Once all of the required items have been entered, click the Apply button to save. d. The number of item entries appears in the Items field.
- Add Steps to a SmartTask. Steps can help further break out the way that the SmartTask should be completed. They can be checked off as the are finished by the task owner as a further way of capturing progress.
a. Click into the Steps field. The Steps screen opens. Click the "+" button in the upper right corner to add a new step. b. Enter a step name, description, and a work estimate (optional). Use the Return key or the "+" button to add more steps. c. Once all of the required steps have been entered, click the Apply button to save. d. The number of steps now appear in the Steps field.
- Add Attachments to a SmartTask.
a. Click into the Attachments field. The Attachments screen appears. Click the "+" button in the upper right corner to add an attachment. b. The Select file source screen appears. c. Click any of the locations to add a document to this SmartTask. The following file types may be uploaded: .AI, .CSS, .DOC, .DOCX, .DWG, .EPS, .FLV, .GIF, .HTML, .IDML, .INDD, .JPEG, .JPG, .KEY, .MOV, .MP4, .MPEG, .MPP, .NONE, .NUMBERS, .OTF, .OTHER, .PAGES, .PDF, .PNG, .PPT, .PPTX, .PSB, .PSD, .SVG, .SWF, .TIF, .TIFF, .TTF, .TXT, .VSD, .VSDX, .WMF, .WMV, .WOFF, .XLS, .XLSM, .XLSX, and .ZIP. The maximum file size is 25MB.
Note: The first time an attachment is added from a cloud storage location you will be redirected and required to authenticate into the cloud storage provider. After that initial login, Moovila will automatically authenticate creating a seamless experience.
d. The location opens, and a file can be selected. The File appears in your attachments listing with prefilled details about the file type, whether it an be seen as a preview, the file name, contributor, and upload date. The Name and Description fields are editable. e. Add another attachment if needed by using the Return key or the "+" button. Once all files have been added, click the Apply button to save. f. The Attachments field now indicates that files have been uploaded with a count.
- Review all entries.
- Edit as needed or click SAVE.
Creating a SmartTask
Article is closed for comments.