When new projects greatly mirror previous projects, creating a copy of the original can provide a strong starting point and save a tremendous amount of time.
- Click on the Project Architect icon to open the Project Portfolio, then click on the project to be copied to open it.
- Click on the “…” icon in the left navigation to access the Additional Options menu.
- The Additional Options menu opens. Select Copy Project from the menu.
- The Copy Project screen appears.
- Select the SmartTask Ownership.
a. Clicking Use Existing Owners maintains the same SmartTask ownership that exists in the current project. b. Clicking Assign To Me assigns all SmartTasks in the project to the project’s creator. If this option is selected, all existing SmartTasks will be duplicated, but ownership of each will be assigned to the project owner; this feature allows the owner to reassign SmartTasks as they see fit in in this project.
Note: Best practice & default setting is to select “Use Existing Owners”. When “Assign To Me” is selected all SmartTasks will be assigned to Owner as Personal Tasks. All tasks will need to be reassigned to a team member before the project can be used by a team.
- Click the Continue Copying button. The second Copy Project screen appears.
- In the first field, the project name appears as [Project] COPY. Rename it as desired.
- In the second field, add a subtitle. While this field is technically optional, adding a clear subtitle will help distinguish this project from the original.
- In the third field, edit or add the description to accurately describe the new project.
- In the Project Scope section, select if this is a Personal, Team, or Enterprise project.
- Click the Project Owner & Team to display a list of owners. The Select Owner screen appears.
a. Select the appropriate owner or click Add Member. b. Click the Back arrow to return to the Copy Project screen.
- Optionally, click Start to display a calendar and choose a start date.
- Optionally, click Due to display a calendar and select a due date.
- Optionally, select Program and Category/Product from drop-down menu.
- Optionally, under Financial Impact, enter information regarding cost as well as what is visible and to whom.
a. In the Amount field, enter how much this project will cost each day. b. In the Show field, toggle between showing Losses or Gains. c. In the Audience field, toggle among the following groups:
i. Leaders Only ii. Leaders and Viewers iii. Leaders, Viewers, and Members iv. Leaders, Viewers, Members, and Extended
- Click the Copy project button. The project now appears in the Project Portfolio.